Thursday, August 6, 2009

Great Read Alouds

This is going to be a quick post, but I love storytelling and reading aloud, so I wanted to join this week's picnic talk

Here's my favorite read alouds:

Bear Snores On, Karma Wilson (the entire series is great)
How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night, Jane Yolen (who has some excellent young adult novels)
Horton Hears a Who, Dr. Seuss
The Cat in the Hat
Monster Musical Chairs, Stuart J Murphy
Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak
Goodnight Moon, Margaret Brown (okay, I think I like that one more than my kids do)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Very Busy Spider
The Very Quiet Cricket

Admittedly those are all books you've probably read to your kids a thousand times as well, but there's a reason for that. They're well crafted and the pictures are great. It's fun to read it out loud, and it's fun to listen to it being read.

Some less known ones, that are good as well, that I just thought of (sorry, I'm adding these as I think of them).

Stellaluna, __________Cannon (I think Jannell, no guarantees)
Crickwing, ____________ Cannon (these are both longer, so think older preschool or a 2 year old with a longer attention span)
The Poky Little Puppy
The Tawny Scrawny Lion
The Saggy Baggy Elephant (these last 3 are all classic Golden Books, again there's a reason they're a classic)


As to oral storytelling, I tend to use this as a way to entertain my kids in long lines. Recently our obsession has been with "Going on a Bear Hunt," which I learned originally as a chant to do at camp with lots of actions. I was a little confused as a teenager to discover that it's a book also.

A great game for when your kids are elementary age, or are starting to write stories is Once Upon a Time. I'm horrid at it, but it has fabulous pictures and is a great way to work on your storytelling.

Well, I was going to include a link to the "book" I wrote for the kids about their adventures as superheroes..... But, I can't find it, and since I have like 5 minutes left on my self-imposed timer, you'll have to miss out for now. For all I know it's timed out of their files because it was a year or so ago.

That's what I have to say about storytelling in this short amount of time. For more great ideas and picnic talk go to ABC and 123.
Related Posts with Thumbnails