Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Our new morning routine

Back about 6-9 months ago I had a morning routine post I put up. Well, this is an update of what we're doing now.

Photobucket
(on the right is a 100s chart I found in the Target dollar aisle, the middle is an alphabet chart used for playing games, and on the left is the calendar, on the bottom is a pocket chart I made to hold the different things we're doing)

We start by updating our calendar. My helper for the day adds the current day and then leads us in counting. I found a set of Carson Dellosa calendar days that was double sided, so it makes it easy to do a simple pattern.

Photobucket

Next each kid writes the day of the month in their individual calendar. I"m using this to practice writing numbers and how to write in general. Princess mainly scribbles along and complains that she can't do it. I'm trying to get her to learn to ask me without whining. The whining gets really grating.

Photobucket
(Superman is on the left, he really does have shorts, and Batman is on the right)

Then they put in stickers for the number of days we've been in school. I have a piece of card stock I've hole-punched after reinforcing the top with packing tape. We put a number sticker on the page, and then they put the same number of stickers on the page.

Photobucket

Now my helper colors in the number of days we've done school on our hundred chart. When we get to 100 days we'll have a party. Yes, I'm shamelessly stealing from the public school 100 day celebration.

That's it for the everyday activities, here's some things we do on different days, but not everyday:

Photobucket
Draw a picture of our theme for the week (can you tell that's a sun?). If it's more complicated than draw a circle and straight lines I'm going to try and post instructions, but I figured it'd be facetious for a sun. And just for the record that is Superman.

Photobucket
Make our letter for the week with our letter pieces.

Photobucket
Cut out letter pictures, we then file them in an index card box to use for other activities.

Photobucket

We also have a poem of the week we go over. I'll post a review of that this week in one of my later postings. It's a great book to pick up. The poem is in strips in the small blue pocket chart. If you ever see a small table sized pocket chart for sale, grab it, they have so many uses.

Photobucket

Find our letter for the week amongst different alphabet sets. I actually have 3 different ways to do this, so each kid gets a chance at a different one at the same time. I usually make it easier for Princess by cutting down on her number of choices.

So, that's our morning routine. I'll probably in the week in review post let you know of any particular things I did to make that week's special. So far the kids are loving being my special helper. I'm only having to work on occasional bad attitudes.
Related Posts with Thumbnails