Wednesday, August 19, 2009

More about Legos

works for me wednesday

My kids have all been working very hard at keeping their rooms clean and their beds made. Each week if they've done that every day they get $2, one for the bed and one for the room. They've been saving for a month, and they proudly went out and bought their first Lego sets (sadly I didn't get pictures of them buying, and thankfully we had a very understanding cashier at Wal-Mart). We got home and spent a long time putting it all together. Every one's been asking lots of great questions about my Lego organization. Hopefully I'll answer them all, so here goes:

1. Where did I get my drawers?
You can get a very similar one, if not the same at Home Depot. I've also seen similar at Lowe's, Joanns, probably Michaels, heck probably even Wal-Mart. It's part of the garage storage at the home improvement stores, at Joann's it's part of their general storage area. I'm sure there's also a version at Container Store. I haven't seen anything like it at Ikea's yet.



2. What do I do with sets?
I break them up and put them in the drawers. In the long run it actually does make it easier to find the right piece because you always know it's in this drawer. I do let them keep some things put together and in a small box, that's just self defense for the whining.

3. What do I do with the instruction books.
I ALWAYS save them. I also save the backs of the boxes. Usually the backs will have pictures of different ways you could put it together. This is a great problem solving activity, because you have to figure out how to put together the picture with no directions. They go in a small tote bag that's on the side table.

Here's how they currently look in my family room from left to right:

Photobucket
The large bases store between the TV table and the wall.

Photobucket
The lego drawers are under the table. The kids don't like this arrangement as much, but they can be pulled out if need be.

Photobucket
The bag of instructions on the other side of the coffee table. This is the same bag the instructions were in for me as a kid. I'm pretty much stealing my Lego organization straight from what my Mom did (only slightly simpler, it's not by color). Sigh, I just noticed the empty soda can.....

And when I went to get the pictures, my sons who had come down about 5 minutes earlier complaining about being awake were asleep.

Photobucket
Superman on his favorite spot on the couch.

Photobucket
Batman stumbled in to cry at me, and then I told him to go sleep on my bed. He apparently took my advice.
Related Posts with Thumbnails